**Updated on 14 February 2020**
The recent closure of cultural venues to reduce the risks of the spread of the novel coronavirus in the community, or the cancellation of arts and cultural events at various venues as an action taken by arts organisations/ practitioners for the same purpose, as well as the recent social events that lasted for several months have impacted arts and cultural activities to various extents. There had been instances of cancellation or postponement of performances, exhibitions and/or related arts and cultural programmes, sharp decline in attendance, drop in ticket income, increase in production costs due to additional expenses incurred in rescheduling of programmes, etc. The Hong Kong Arts Development Council (HKADC) is deeply aware of the difficulties faced by the sector. With the support of the Home Affairs Bureau, HKADC will provide additional funding from the Hong Kong Arts Development Fund and launches a one-time “Support Scheme for Arts & Cultural Sector” (“Scheme”) of five million Hong Kong dollars. The Scheme strengthens support towards small and medium-sized arts organisations and arts practitioners that are recipients of HKADC Year Grant, Project Grant (except Cultural Exchange Grant), Literary Arts Platform Project, Eminent Arts Group Scheme and Matching Fund Scheme, striving to alleviate the temporary financial burden faced by the sector during these challenging times. The Scheme aims to relieve the maximum number of arts organisations and practitioners possible, and it is possible that individual project loss may not be covered fully.
Eligibility and Amount
|Eligible Applicant||Limit (HK$)|
|i) Grant recipients of HKADC’s 2019/20 “Year Grant”, “Literary Arts Platform Project”, or “Eminent Arts Group Scheme”||Maximum of $50,000 for each arts organisation|
|ii) Affected projects held in Hong Kong starting from 1 July 2019 and funded by HKADC’s “Project Grant” or “Matching Fund Scheme”* including:
- Non-publication projects (such as performances, exhibitions, film productions, etc.)
- Publication projects
Maximum of $15,000 for each project
*Not applicable for 2019/20 “Year Grant”, “Literary Arts Platform Project”, or “Eminent Arts Group Scheme”.
Coverage of Support
HKADC understands that arts organisations and practitioners may be affected by a wide range of situations, and each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Examples of common scenarios are listed below:
1. An organisation’s general operating expenses and income (only applicable for grant recipients of “Year Grant” , “Literary Arts Platform Project”, “Eminent Arts Group Scheme”)
- Increased transportation costs to and from work for employees due to unexpected road and traffic conditions
- Employee’s overtime work and additional salary/allowance due to sudden changes in arrangement for the organisation’s activities
- Increased operating expenses incurred in extended/additional use of activity room(s) and rehearsal room(s) under the arts organisation due to postponement/rescheduling of programme, or increase in rent expenses from temporary rental of other venues
2. Expenses and income of activities/programmes
- Reduced ticket income from cancellation of performance/activity due to closing of venues
- Sharp decline in attendance and reduced ticket income due to unpredictable road and traffic conditions
- Increase workload and remuneration of hired staff due to postponement/re-scheduling of activities
- Additional expenses incurred in re-scheduling of venue or change of location
- Additional production expenses incurred due to re-scheduling
Applicants may specify in detail their various situations of being affected in the application form. They will be considered and processed by HKADC on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply
The application procedure is simple and direct for the convenience of the arts organisations and practitioners. Eligible arts organisations and practitioners only need to complete and submit the relevant application form as well as documentary proof of being affected (such as announcement/ notice of change/postponement/cancellation of activity, ticket income information, proof or receipts of incurred additional expenses) by email at email@example.com or by mail to Hong Kong Arts Development Council at 10/F, 1063 King’s Road, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong. Please mark “Support Scheme for Arts & Cultural Sector” on the envelope. For further enquiries, applicants are welcome to contact the HKADC staff responsible for their corresponding grants.
Application Deadline and Fund Payment
In view of current social situation, there is no application deadline set for this Scheme until further notice. Applicants can submit their applications by post or by email from now on. In general, the HKADC Administration Office can complete processing the application within six to eight weeks after receiving the application. HKADC will issue a notice by mail or email to the applicant arts organisations/practitioners on the result of the application. The funding (“Support Fund”) will be disbursed to the successful applicant through a cheque in one lump sum. Successful applicant arts organisations/practitioners may only apply the Support Fund towards the affected activity declared, and is prohibited from transferring the Support Fund towards other activities not declared. The corresponding financial data should be indicated in the audit or financial reports at the end of the year/project completion.
HKADC and its designated assessment panel are responsible for the assessment. HKADC reserves final discretion on arrangement of assessment and the approved sum for each application.
Points to Note
- As the Scheme is focused on providing support towards affected arts organisations and their activities in Hong Kong, projects held overseas and funded by the “Cultural Exchange Grant” are therefore not eligible for the “Support Scheme for Arts & Cultural Sector”.
- The application must be signed by the applicant to declare and guarantee that all information contained in the application form is true and correct to the best knowledge of the applicant. Where the applicant is not an individual, the statement must be signed by the head of the organisation and the official chop must be affixed. Any false statement made in the application will render the application invalid.
- For organisations that are 2019/20 “Year Grant”, “Literary Arts Platform Project”, or “Eminent Arts Group Scheme” grant recipients, if surplus is indicated in the 2019/20 auditors’ report after applying the Support Fund, HKADC will handle the surplus in the same manner according to the general surplus policy of “Year Grant”/ “Literary Arts Platform Project”/“Eminent Arts Group Scheme” projects.
- If Support Fund is approved for projects funded by “Project Grant” or “Matching Fund Scheme”, an associated financial/auditor report should be submitted as per the original Grant Agreement, including information on actual expenditures and uses of the Support Fund to ensure proper utilisation of public moneys.
Application Form Download
|i) Grant recipient of HKADC’s 2019/20 “Year Grant”, “Literary Arts Platform Project”, or “Eminent Arts Group Scheme”|
|ii) Projects held during the affected time period and funded by “Project Grant” or “Matching Fund Scheme”|
Enquiries may be addressed to Hong Kong Arts Development Council by phone at 2827 8786 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.