The Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2018 Presentation Ceremony, organised by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council (HKADC), was held on 31 May 2019 at the TVB City.
A total of 30 awards were presented to local artists, arts organisations, schools and institutions in recognition of their unstinting support and contribution to the arts development in Hong Kong. Among the various awards, the Life Achievement Award, the highest accolade, was bestowed on renowned dancer and actor Mr Lau Siu-ming, while the Award for Outstanding Contribution in Arts went to celebrated director, screenwriter and actress Ms Chang Ai-chia, Sylvia.
The ceremony was officiated by The Hon Mrs Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, the Chief Executive of the HKSAR; Mr Lau Kong-wah, Secretary for Home Affairs; Dr Wong Ying-wai, Wilfred, Chairman of the HKADC and Vice Chairman Mr Lee Wai-man, Maurice.
Speaking at the occasion, Dr Wong Ying-wai, Wilfred, Chairman of the HKADC, said that the awards paid tribute to veteran artists and arts practitioners, especially the recipients of the Life Achievement Award and Award for Outstanding Contribution in Arts, who have made substantial contributions and outstanding achievements in the arts. What was even more surprising was the rise of new talents with innovative ideas, which had injected a dose of new energy to local arts and culture and made up the vibrancy of the Hong Kong arts scene. In recent years, HKADC has been dedicated to exploring the Mainland and overseas arts markets with local artists and arts organisations, in order to seek new opportunities for presenting works and creating exchange. HKADC also runs a number of Artspaces and launched the “ADC Matching Fund Scheme” and “Eminent Arts Group Scheme” in its commitment to create an environment conducive to the development of the arts in Hong Kong in the long run.
Seven award categories of the Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2018 were presented, including the Life Achievement Award, Award for Outstanding Contribution in Arts, Artist of the Year, Award for Young Artist, Award for Arts Education, Award for Arts Promotion and Award for Arts Sponsorship.
The Life Achievement Award was conferred on arts masters with continued and significant contribution to the arts scene in Hong Kong. Mr Lau Siu-ming has dedicated himself to the arts for more than half a century. Lau traverses with ease across the domains of dance, television and the silver screen. Over the course of his prolific acting career, he has created one iconic role after another in numerous acclaimed television series and memorable films. Lau is also a pioneer of dance development and education in Hong Kong, integrating Western dance aesthetics and Chinese movements in his dance.
Ms Chang Ai-chia, Sylvia, the recipient of the Award for Outstanding Contribution in Arts, is renowned for her active involvements in filmmaking as a director, screenwriter and actress and celebrates for her theatre works and live performances. Chang is an ardent supporter of new filmmakers and has made invaluable contributions to the film industry.
Prominent arts practitioners are invited to be the award presenters. It includes (in order of their appearance on stage):
- Mr Yung Ning-tsun, Danny, Co-Artistic Director, Zuni Icosahedron
- Prof Chan Yuk-keung, Kurt, Acting Director, Hong Kong Art School
- Prof Chan Yuen-ying, Founder, Journalism and Media Studies Centre, University of Hong Kong
- Prof Jeffrey Shaw, Chair Professor, School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong
- Dr Johnnie To Kei-fung, renowned film director and producer
- Mr To Kwok-wai, Raymond, celebrated screenwriter
- Mr Chan Kin-bun, Company Consultant, Hong Kong Repertory Theatre
- Prof Eleanor Wong, Artist-in-Residence and Senior Lecturer, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Mr Ng Yue-lit, Yuri, Co-Artistic Director, Yat Po Singers
- Mr Dung Kai-cheung, celebrated writer
- Ms Wong Ying-kay, Ada, Director, Hong Kong Institute of Contemporary Culture, Supervisor, HKICC Lee Shau Kee School of Creativity, Chairperson, Make A Difference Institute, Convenor & Director, The Good Lab
- Prof Chin Tai-hong, Roland, President and Vice-Chancellor, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Mr Ng Si-yuan, renowned film director and producer
- Mr Tsui Hark, renowned film director, screenwriter and producer
Artists of the Year went to Dr Leung Po-shan, Anthony (Arts Criticism), Mr Wong Tai-fai, Dick (Dance), Ms Fung Wai-hang, Rocelia (Drama), Ms Ruby Yang (Film), Ms Hon Lai-chu (Literary Arts), Mr Ip Yuk-yiu (Media Arts), Ms Cheung Wai-ching, Rachel (Music), Ms Wan Lai-kuen, Annie (Visual Arts) and Mr Mo Yu-tin (Sun Kim-long) (Xiqu).
The Award for Young Artist went to Ms Li Mei-ting (Arts Criticism), Ms Yau Ka-hei (Dance), Mr Leung Tin-chak (Drama), Mr Wong Siu-pong (Film), Ms Wong Yi, Eva (Literary Arts), Ms Chan Ho-choi, Carla (Media Arts), Dr Matthew Lau (Music) and Mr Tom Chung-man (Visual Arts). For the complete list, please refer to the enclosure.
To commemorate this special occasion, Mrs. Carrie Lam, the Chief Executive of the HKSAR was invited to present the Honourable Commendation to Hip Shing Hong (Holdings) Company Limited, Prompt Trading Limited, Sino Group and Henderson Land Development Company Limited in recognition of their generous provision for the ADC Arts Space Scheme. Also, Mr Lau Kong-wah, Secretary for Home Affairs was invited to present the Awards for Sponsorship to Nan Fung Group and Ms Mimi Brown to recognise their contributions to the development of arts in Hong Kong.
During the ceremony, an array of versatile performances were staged, including:
- Wind Orchestra Performance of Benjamin Yeo: Future of Tomorrow by Men in Jazz Evangelical Lutheran Church Social Service – Hong Kong, recipient of the Awards for Arts Education (Non-School Division);
- Cantonese Opera Excerpt from How the Scholar Tong Pak-fu Won the Maid Chau Heung by Man Wah and Ling Yan from the Sensational Sprouts Cantonese Opera Association; and
- Piano and Vibraphone Duo of Alexej Gerassimez: Piazonore by Ms Cheung Wai-ching, Rachel, recipient of Artist of the Year (Music) and Dr Matthew Lau, recipient of the Award for Young Artist (Music).
The Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2018 Presentation Ceremony’s TV episode will be broadcast at 10:30pm on 8 June (Saturday) on TVB Jade and 6:00pm on 16 June (Sunday) on TVB Finance and Information Channel.
Please click here to view the awardee list of Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2018.